I find it so fun to spice up a classic margarita with some of my fresh-pressed juices. This Grapefruit Rita Margarita is just that, it’s a delightful splash of pink to change up your margarita. This citrus queen of a drink is a must try! Whether you’re entertaining at home or just want to get into the spring or summer mood this grapefruit rita is just the trick.
Now I will admit that it’s a bit strong on tequila, but the agave cuts the edge unnoticeably. If you don’t have agave, you can use honey or make a homemade simple syrup of equal parts water and sugar. As I said, the drink is heavy on the tequila, so please make sure you’re enjoying it responsibly.
When it comes to juicing the grapefruit you have two options. I find it easier to use a manual citrus juice press that I just twist the juice out of. I got my citrus press years ago and use it to make quick fresh juice without having to dirty much up. The other option you have that I also do is using your cold press juicer machine. Right after making my family’s healthy juices, I usually make a batch of fun juices to create mixed drinks. Since you’re already juicing, it doesn’t take more effort to quickly juice a grapefruit to enjoy for this margarita recipe.
Ingredients For Grapefruit Rita Margarita
Recipe is based on shots, 1 shot = 1.25 oz for an easy to follow reference.
- 1 shot of Grapefruit juice
- 2 shots of Tequila of your choice (Reposado preferred)
- 1 shot of Orange Liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Triple Sec)
- ½ shot of Lime juice
- 1 tbsp of Agave (optional)
- Ice Cubes
- Margarita salt or kosher salt for rim
- ½ Lime to wet the cup rim
- Sliced limes for cup rim
Recipe For Grapefruit Rita Margarita
- You will need 1 grapefruit cut in half, and 1 Lime cut in half.
- With a citrus juicer, press and twist the juice out of the grapefruit, the lime, and then put the juice to the side.
- Get your cocktail shaker or mixing cup and add the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, agave, and your shots of grapefruit juice.
- I personally add some ice to the cocktail shaker to really get the drink going.
- For decor, use half lime to rub the rim of your margarita glass.
- Then on a small plate put a few shakes of salt on it to dip your lime rubbed glass to get salted.
- Lastly, add 5 ice cubes, pour your margarita in, and enjoy responsibly.