Living in San Diego, CA has made my standard of Chicken Roll Tacos pretty high. The part that takes roll tacos or taquitos to the next level is the toppings. But when you make homemade roll tacos it just gives you a feeling of accomplishment. Here I share my favorite mom hack roll tacos and all the amazing toppings that will make them irresistible. This is my family’s recipe and you already know I put my Dominican sazon to spice it up a bit.
Roll Taco Ingredients:
- 4 Chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Sazon
- ½ tbsp of Salt
- ½ tbsp of Pepper
- 1 tbsp of Tomato paste
- 12 Corn tortillas
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Red Onion
- ½ Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Sour Cream
- ¼ cups of Shredded cheese
- 1 Lime
- Hot sauce of preference
Shredded Chicken Recipe:
- Boil 3 qts of water to make shredded chicken with the 4 chicken breasts. After 15 minutes of boiling the chicken breasts, the chicken should be all white.
- Drain water and let chicken cool down before pulling apart with two forks.
- In a pan or cast-iron skillet, heat up some oil and add the shredded chicken. You want to start seasoning the meat with the sazon, salt, pepper, and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes, so the seasoning marinates the chicken completely. Then set aside to assemble.
Roll Taco Recipe:
- Heat up about 1-2 inches of oil in a pan or cast-iron skillet to fry the roll tacos. You can also bake them at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes or air fry them.
- Warm up corn tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute in a microfiber towel. This will make the tortillas soft and easy to roll up. I don’t recommend using a paper towel, as it will make the corn tortillas soggy. Also keep all the tortillas wrapped in the microfiber towel as you create each roll taco, so they stay warm.
- Take one corn tortilla and add 2 scoops of shredded chicken to one corner. Then roll up and close with a toothpick, don’t be scared to use two if one isn’t enough.
- Fry the roll tacos and rotate after 3-5 minutes as they brown. Once golden brown on all sides place them on a plate with a paper towel to catch excess oil.
Roll Tacos Toppings:
- Add a pinch of salt to roll tacos as they rest.
- Place about 4 rolled tacos and lay a layer of sour cream, shredded iceberg lettuce, guacamole.
- Then add pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, diced purple onion, diced cilantro, a splash of lime), and then add shredded cheese, and top with your favorite hot sauce.
- My new favorite hot sauce is the Trader Joe’s Jalapeno sauce, which you only need a bit. But if you want a less spicy and more flavorful hot sauce I would recommend Salsa Verde (green sauce).