Margaritas are fun, but it’s even more fun to add some sweet orange to the mix to make an Orange Rita Margarita. With my juicing process involving a lot of orange juice, I find it easy to incorporate my unused juice to make some mama cocktails to enjoy after a long day. If you juice or not, this is a great way to naturally sweeten your margarita with a hint of orange. I do want to share that my version of these margaritas is a bit heavier than most, but the agave and orange make the transition effortless. So please drink responsibly and if you don’t have agave, don’t worry I have a few tips to help you use what you already have.
OJ Juicing Method
Since I try to drink fresh-pressed orange juice every day for medical purposes. I personally always have some fresh orange juice available for healthy living and for fun margarita drinks. My two tips for juicing orange juice are to use a manual citrus juicer that I’ve had for years or my electric fresh press juicer. After making all my family’s healthy juices, I will make sure to juice some oranges and even add some ginger, lime, or lemon to it at times. This definitely gives the juice a healthier kick, but I still sometimes use this mix for my margaritas as well.
No Agave, No Problem
I personally love agave but haven’t bought it in a while. An alternative to using agave is honey or even making homemade simple syrup. To make the simple syrup you just use equal parts of water and sugar, preferably 1/2 cup of each. Then heat up in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. You only need a little for this recipe, so don’t feel pressure to make a lot.
Ingredients For Orange Rita Margarita
Recipe is based on shots, 1 shot = 1.25 oz for an easy to follow reference.
- 1 shot of Orange Juice
- 2 shots of Tequila of your choice (reposado preferred)
- 1 shot of Orange Liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
- ½ shot of Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Agave (optional)
- Margarita salt or kosher salt for rim
- ½ lime to wet the cup rim
- Sliced limes for cup rim
Recipe For Orange Rita Margarita
- You will need 1 orange cut in half, and 1 Lime cut in half.
- With a citrus juicer, press and twist the juice out of the orange, the lime, and then put the juices to the side.
- Get your cocktail shaker or mixing cup and add the tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, agave, and your shots of orange juice.
- I personally add some ice to the cocktail shaker to really get the drink going.
- For decor, use half lime to rub the rim of your margarita glass.
- Then on a small plate put a few shakes of salt on it to dip your lime rubbed glass to get salted.
- Lastly, add 5 ice cubes, pour your margarita in, and enjoy responsibly.